Monday, June 4, 2012

Bugs!

Gardening has been my escape lately.  I love going down there...even if there's nothing to do.  I even love weeding!  This is only my second year of doing a garden.  Last year was pretty much a flop.  This year....it's a little better.     I'm learning a lot and hopefully I'll keep getting better at it.   Right now, I'm trying to learn about what bugs are good and bad for gardens.   I am clueless...except for lady bugs...I know they're good and will eat other harmful insects.  But, that's it.   So, tonight I'm going to try to figure out what's going on in our garden as far as pests.  We don't have too much damage yet...just a few plants that have been significantly damaged.  If anyone can help me out here, I'd really appreciate it!  :)   

This guy has been hanging out on the same plant for a couple of days.  









Some of the plants that are growing....










More bugs.  This guy was cool.






I've been putting our chicken poo around the plants and I think that's attracted lots of flies :( 


I moved these guys to our garden. 



2 comments:

Sarah said...

The black and and yellow spotted one is a cucumber beetle- will eat cucumbers, squashes and melons. Squish them. If you plant some melons/cucumbers later in the season you can sometimes avoid them.

If you grow summer squashes be on the lookout for squash bugs- they look like stink bugs and can wilt your plants pretty quick. They hang out under the leaves and lay rows of copper colored eggs.

Flea beetles and potato bugs can be pretty bad with potatoes and eggplant, not that you had pictures of those.

Good luck with your garden!

TheBowlingFamily said...

Thanks! I hope you all are doing well! We will go out and start squishing those cucumber beetles...we have lots of them :(