Friday, January 13, 2012

"What a Blessing You Are"

I came across this blog post today.  It was so refreshing to read this...

"I know those people mean well, and it is true that God has blessed Alyosha with a loving family. But something in those phrases negates the fact that we are blessed by him. Like we are just a couple of long-suffering saints who are raising the orphan because we're so pious. Like he doesn't have to put up with our junk, sins, imperfections, every day. Gag.

The middlewoman-mom-daughter at Panera hit the nail on the head. Our son is a blessing, and we are the humble and grateful recipients. We hope to be a blessing to him too- but because that's how families work, not because we are superheros."

Chad and I have been talking about comments that are already being made and our kids aren't here yet.   We know that everyone is well-meaning, and I know for a fact I have said some of the same exact things that make me cringe now.   I've become more aware of how adoption, children, and adoptive parents are perceived lately...and the comments that come along with those perceptions.  I've been trying to put myself in my children's shoes...adopted and biological...and realizing how certain comments might make them feel.  Like when people say they don't know how we do it, two kids is enough for them, those are some lucky kids, etc...I can imagine that it might make our kids feel like a burden.   I'm sure as they get older those comments will be frustrating or annoying.  For me...it's uncomfortable.   As a mom, I struggle on a daily basis.  I've brought my kids to tears.  I've failed them time and again.  I will continue to do that.  But, hopefully, by God's grace, we have a loving family where we are growing in Him daily, loving each other the best we can, and striving to serve Him with our whole hearts.   Like this mother says...I want to be a blessing to my children...desperately...because I love them so much.  And I can only do that because God loves me so much!   Honestly, I don't know what I'd do without my kids..all four of them....and 2 aren't even here yet.   They are a huge blessing to us and I want them to always know that.  They are a gift and they are treasured!   I just pray that others will see that about them and speak that into their lives.  

5 comments:

sarah in the woods said...

i know just how you feel. The thing is I just never know what to say to people, or am too timid to correct them. My children are a blessing to me and I want people to know it. Shortly after we brought Zahana home, my grandpa introduced me to a waitress at a restaurant as his granddaughter who just rescued a poor starving orphan from Africa. I was so embarrassed!

TheBowlingFamily said...

Oh my goodness Sarah! Your grandpa must have just loved you and what you were doing. :) Chad and I have actually been trying to rehearse some lines and have them ready, because, in the moment I'm too shy or just don't know what to say.

Anonymous said...

Just the other night a lady asked me "now how many kids do you have again?" When I said 5 she said "Oh bless your heart." Like she was taking pity on me! I didn't have a good reply ready either!

TheBowlingFamily said...

LOL Annette...it's like you didn't have a choice in the matter or something! I need to do a t-shirt about how much I love my kids and what blessings they are!

Kim said...

I am brand new here, and I just wanted to say what an absolutely beautiful family you have! :O)