Monday, August 2, 2010

Whew! What a day!

We had a pretty good first day of school. We got a late start doing chores and Bible because the boys slept in and I wasn't about to wake them up! I was up until after midnight making bread and getting other food ready for the week. So, after we finally got that stuff done, we did our handwriting, math, reading and other basics first. Then, after lunch, we did science. I'm really excited about our science curriculum this year. We're studying astronomy. So, today we read the first part of our lesson and then did a little diorama of stonehenge. The boys had a lot of fun making them. I love all of the hands on stuff that we will be doing. I think it will help keep their attention.

I also started phonics with Luke today. I wish I had recorded it today when he read his first word. It's like it hit him all of a sudden that he read it all by himself and he got SO excited. It was so sweet.



Sweet Pea was kind of bored. :( She actually falls asleep like that all the time....cannot be comfortable.



Then, the boys went outside and caught a slug...one of my least favorite things on the planet. I got out Ethan's knife to poke holes in the top of the jar and he said..."mom, I think I better do it. It's more of a man's job." I cracked up. I don't know where he comes up with stuff!


So, it was a good day....it will just take some adjusting and getting into a routine.

No comments: