Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Adoption Update

So...we have been trying to find a way to adopt Alexie and her sister, who are from Togo. I've been on the phone with the State Dept., the Togo embassy, etc. From what we can tell, it is pretty much impossible to adopt from Togo at this point. There are a lot of factors that go into it...they have a one year residency requirement, you MUST use an agency, however, there are no agencies that will work with Togo, etc. We are so sad about this. It's hard to explain, but, from the moment we were handed the picture of Alexie, she had our hearts. When I was explaining everything to the boys, they had lots of question. The question that broke my heart was from Ethan. "Mama, does that mean they will be orphans forever?". I know that cannot be God's will. So...we will continue to pray and if God opens any doors we will be ready. For now, though, we have decided to pursue adopting from Ghana. There is an incredible man of God there whose home is full of orphans that he and his wife have rescued. We are sad about Alexie, but, we know God has another plan for now. I'm so thankful for what God is doing in our family through this. After we put our Christmas tree money in Ethan's adoption jar today, we had over $150 in it! I was so surprised! The boys have been putting every cent they find in it. Also, Ethan puts his allowance in it and even put his tooth fairy money in the jar!

Meanwhile, a friend of a friend will be heading to Ghana soon and we are going to send some stuff for Alexie. I'm so excited I get to go shopping for a girl! :o)

Please pray that God will direct us in choosing a child. It feels like a huge decision and we want his direction! Thanks!

3 comments:

Kristie O'Leary said...

Crying! And Ethan's comment breaks my heart, but she will not be an orphan in Heaven. She has a Father. :) So excited for you guys!

Anonymous said...

I am sorry this is not working out at this time, but sometimes we just have to be patient & pray. I know that both you and Chad are great parents. It shows through your two boys, any child would not luck to have you as parents.

The Runyans said...

oh no. . . his little comment makes me cry.