Tuesday, April 23, 2013

April is Beautiful!

I LOVE this time of year.  It's not too hot and not too cold.   Everything is turning green again.   I can see the light at the end of the tunnel as far as school is concerned.   We're having to make ourselves come in at bed time...we just want to stay out and enjoy the extra daylight.  

I am finally seeing progress in the garden.  Last year we watched the Back to Eden film and started doing it Paul's way.   So far, it's been great!   I'm pretty happy with my first seed starting experience.   I don't know the percentage or anything...but, the majority of what I started actually  made it.  I have been able to give away several plants and still have more than enough for us.   I'll probably start putting my tomatoes in the ground later this week.  My sweet potatoes are sprouting and the peppers are getting  bigger everyday.  I can't wait until we can start eating the healthy food we have worked really hard for!






My children....well, I'm not worried about them getting dirty or being properly dressed around the house. :)


My zucchini, cucumbers, and yellow squash plants that I started from seed, are growing but they don't look too healthy.  I'm thinking they're probably better off just starting in the ground.



I tried winter sowing and those veggies are doing great...kale, lettuce, broccoli, etc.  





Green Beans


Snap Peas


Chinese Red Noodle Beans


More Broccoli


Ok...so I had this awesome idea.   We had this old swingset that had been given to us just sitting there.   It wasn't sturdy enough for our kids.   I was looking for something to make a trellis out of because I've run out of room in my garden.   I thought the swingset frame would be perfect!   Chad wasn't convinced until I searched and searched and finally found someone else who had done it!   We we've put it in the garden and I just have to add the netting in the next few days.  I plan to try melons and cucumbers on it.   We'll see how it goes :)



Ethan has been wanting to start some little businesses lately.  He bought some chicks to raise and re-sell.   Now, he wants to start an earthworm farm.   He found some old tires around our property and, with the help of his brother and sister, rolled them to our garden.   They stacked them up and he plans to fill them with dirt and worms!   Now...why isn't he motivated to brush his teeth????




Our apple and pear trees are looking pretty good.  Something has been eating their leaves so I'm trying some homemade spray on them.













3 comments:

The Peacock Pearl said...

awesome garden! i wish we could have chickens where we are... hopefully someday! beautiful family too!

Rachel @ day2day joys said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and entering the giveaway!

What beautiful pictures you take!

TheBowlingFamily said...

Thanks Rachel! My husband listens to yours' on the radio. He's always sharing what he learns. :) I really appreciate your blog. Trying to learn all I can and I'm so thankful for people like you who are willing to share.