Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Homeschool Event at the Knoxville Zoo

Today we got to go to the zoo for a special program for homeschoolers. It was so neat. We got to go behind the scenes of several exhibits.


This is a clue as to the first thing we saw.......yes, it's elephant poop!

We got to go inside the elephant's home and see them being bathed. It was so cool to be so close to these animals.





We then headed to the commissary to see where the food for the animals is prepared.
Then, we headed to the reptiles! We got to go inside the exhibit to see many snakes that are never seen outside of that room. As we were walking through the maze of cages and glass enclosures, the kids were to keep their hands to their sides and walk slowly because many of the snakes are venomous. Of course, Luke was the one that grabs the metal grate on top of one of the cages! I told him to put his hands in his pockets...but, his pants were on backwards! It all ended well though...no one was hurt and the kids even got to pet a snake.





Next we go to go into the tortoise exhibit. What neat animals! We were able to pet them and everything. You just had to be careful so that they didn't step or sit on your feet!





What a great day! I'm so thankful for the opportunity to homeschool my boys. I love seeing them learn and being able to be a part of that. Most of the time I feel totally incompetent and overwhelmed...well, not just about homeschooling...about being a mom in general. But, thank God for his grace and wisdom! I know that He's aware of my shortcomings and knows that I will fail...a lot! Yet, He's here to guide me and still allows me to be a part of something so amazing.

No comments: