Wednesday, January 19, 2011

First Interview Scheduled!

Things are progressing a little faster than I had expected. We got a call yesterday to schedule our first homestudy interview. I was really surprised! I'm excited. I want to meet our babies! I am praying that God speeds up the process so we can get to them sooner! Their bedroom is getting emptied out...we're making money for our adoption fund and space for them at the same time.

I am more aware everyday of this tug of war going on inside of me. My life is so self centered. Everything revolves around me, my comfort, that thing I've always wanted, etc. Even with my kids. I love them so much and would lay down my life for them, yet, I get so frustrated when I'm inconvenienced or put out.

Luke 18:18-23

[18] A certain ruler asked him, "Good teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?"

[19] "Why do you call me good?" Jesus answered. "No one is good -- except God alone. [20] You know the commandments: 'Do not commit adultery, do not murder, do not steal, do not give false testimony, honor your father and mother.'"

[21] "All these I have kept since I was a boy," he said.

[22] When Jesus heard this, he said to him, "You still lack one thing. Sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."

[23] When he heard this, he became very sad, because he was a man of great wealth.

[24] Jesus looked at him and said, "How hard it is for the rich to enter the kingdom of God! [25] Indeed, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."

[26] Those who heard this asked, "Who then can be saved?"

[27] Jesus replied, "What is impossible with men is possible with God."

[28] Peter said to him, "We have left all we had to follow you!"

[29] "I tell you the truth," Jesus said to them, "no one who has left home or wife or brothers or parents or children for the sake of the kingdom of God [30] will fail to receive many times as much in this age and, in the age to come, eternal life."


I had been thinking about the story of the Rich Young Ruler in Luke and how much like that I am. I think if I do enough "good" then I am ok. My standard is those around me instead of Jesus Christ...instead of what He has called me to do.
Chad and I were talking the other day, and I can't help but think that you could fit "American" in verse 24.

"How hard it is for the AMERICAN to enter the kingdom of God! [25] Indeed, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for an AMERICAN to enter the kingdom of God."

When I think of rich, my mind immediately goes to people who have much larger homes than I do, big SUV's, and go on nice vacations every year. Well...compared to most of the world...I am RICH! I am never hungry, in fact I need to stop eating so much. I have a running car and a beautiful home. We have more clothes than we need. We have running water and electricity. And....we have WAY more than that. My family and I are so rich and we don't even realize it! I start to seek God about what He has for us...but, as soon as it gets "extreme", my mind goes to all the reasons I couldn't do this or that. Guess what....it's all about ME! It seems like this is the way of Americans. We are never happy with what we have. We're always on to the next new thing...it has to be bigger and better. The American churches have so much money wrapped up in buildings and programs, it's disgusting. I have heard a quote a couple of times, "If every Christian would adopt one child, there would be no orphans". This blows my mind. What are we doing? It's not just about orphans...there are so many other needs. However, my kids have been taught in the past, that church is about video games and prizes and what else is in it for me? I walk in a church and start taking notes on the band and the music, how comfortable are the chairs?, and do I like this preachers style? I can't help but think that God is grieved by this.

Francis Chan wrote recently: "Speaking to underground church leaders in China was equally enlightening. Most surprising to me was their response when I told them about “church” in America. I did not expect the response I got when I explained how common it is for people to switch churches if they find another with better child-care, better music, or a more gifted speaker. They laughed really hard. It was weird. It was like they thought I was joking. It opened my eyes to the uniqueness of our situation. Remember that India and China combined represent almost 40% of the world’s population. The U.S. represents about 4%. Too often I have looked at other cultures as being strange. I forget that we are the minority. "

I am so thankful for God's grace. Thankful that, even though I am a selfish American, He is working on me and letting me be a part of something amazing. I am so challenged by this young girl. She has truly left everything and gone to Africa to be a mother to a house full of orphans. She has feeding programs and much more. Check out her blog!



No comments: